[c-nsp] how to validate cell rates?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 20 11:37:37 EST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:29:30AM -0600, MADMAN wrote:
>   Try shaping down a little more, roughly 10%.  I do know that earlier
> IOS did not always take into account the overhead in the ATM cell when
> shaping.  I have seen this several times in the past though admittedly
> not in 12.3.

The values listed for cells/seconds in "show atm vc <name>" are
correctly calculated for 53 bytes/cell (full size).  Like this:

Cisco-M-XIV>sh atm vc sp1-936
ATM2/0.129: VCD: 46, VPI: 15, VCI: 129, Connection Name: sp1-936
UBR, PeakRate: 2150 (5071 cps)
                     ^^^^
(PVC configured to "ubr 2150" instead of the 'documented' value of
"ubr 2303", so that the customers won't suffer while we argue with
the Telco)

So are you telling me that earlier IOSes sometimes used 48 bytes for
calculating cells/s., or that the displayed values are wrong?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de