[c-nsp] 6500/7600 with Sup720 opinion

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Fri Jan 21 15:47:46 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Arie Vayner wrote:
> Does anyone use the 6500/7600 platform with Sup720 (Sup3BXL/Sup3B)?

I have a few 6500+720 boxes in service, one a 720-3B, the other base 720s
(purchased pre-3b).

> Any experience with this platform as a peering router?

A little.  I'm not stressing it, doing just a few partial feeds.  So far it
works.

> Any known limitations? MPLS? PPS rates? QoS? uRPF?

I don't do MPLS & I'm not pushing it hard yet.

My complaints are:
   o  there are no 12.2S images for it, so no service-provider-flavor stuff
      (e.g., timed session restart after exceeding the max prefix)
   o  SNMP counters for .1q sub-ints don't work (except possibly for MPLS);
      you have to make the physical interface a "switchport" & use a "vlan"
      interface to get SNMP stats
I pointed out to my Cisco SE that I lost some functionality "upgrading" from
a 7513 to a 6500+720, but got little sympathy & no satisfactory resolution.

> Also, does anyone use this platform with any 10Gig interfaces?

Not yet.  I'm still waiting for the XENPAKs I ordered over 2 months ago.