[c-nsp] Welcome message

Ian Henderson ianh at chime.net.au
Sat Jan 22 06:18:24 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, MADMAN wrote:

> I have a small ISP customer who has a Cisco3725 with a PRI and 24
> Digital Modems for v.92/BRI dial-access.  Is there any way (that you are
> aware of) that the ISP can send a customized message upon Windows
> dial-up connection being completed?  For example, after the remote
> dial-user connects to the ISP using PPP over the dial-up connection, a
> windows dialog box can pop-up stating, "welcome to ABC ISP, have a great
> day".

Have the RADIUS server take note of accounting start packets (which will
include the user's IP address), and have it send a Winpopup message using
Samba?

While this is slightly spammy, it could be kinda cool for things like "You
have $x prepaid credit left", "Scheduled maintenance in 40 minutes", "You
haven't read your email in x days, it will be deleted in y days". Anybody
who still has winpopup unfirewalled probably needs to be told these things
;).

Rgds,

- I.

--
Ian Henderson CCNA, CCNP
Senior Network Engineer, Chime Communications