[c-nsp] 6500/7600 with Sup720 opinion

Simon Leinen simon at limmat.switch.ch
Sat Jan 22 17:39:54 EST 2005

Arie Vayner writes:
> Does anyone use the 6500/7600 platform with Sup720 (Sup3BXL/Sup3B)?
> Any experience with this platform as a peering router?

We use three Sup720 (A, to be upgraded to -3BXL) on our busiest
peering routers for IPv4 uni/multicast and IPv6 unicast.

> Any known limitations? MPLS? PPS rates? QoS? uRPF?

Haven't tried MPLS.  PPS-wise they are ridiculously overprovisioned
for us (30 Mpps in a centralized configuration; could be increased by
adding DFC3 modules).  We use only a little of the QoS functions
(e.g. rate-limiting a sub-aggregate towards a busy peering link) and
that works well.  uRPF works too, although we don't really use that on
the peering routers.

We also use (unsampled) Netflow, and that works well up to a
relatively a high number of active flows (~80'000) and degrades
gracefully beyond that.  With the Sup720-3BXL the sustainable number
of active flows should be twice as high.

> Also, does anyone use this platform with any 10Gig interfaces?

We have a couple WS-X6704-10GE cards - they work just fine.
--
Simon.