[c-nsp] 3750/3550 SMI vs EMI

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Sat Jan 22 19:25:13 EST 2005

Brian Feeny wrote:

> 2950 EMI / SMI has something in hardware to stop you from loading EMI
> code on an SMI purchased switch.  It may be something as simple as a
> code in some eeprom, I don't know, but it is hardware restricted.

Well, for 2950 the nomenclature is SI/EI, not SMI/EMI. `M' in the
SMI/EMI means 'multilayer' and 2950 are L2-only. SMI/EMI is for
3550/3560/3750 switches, where You do have multilayer capabilities.

And yes, 2950-12, 2950-24, 2950T-48-SI and 2950SX-48-SI are *SI-only*
and simply *can't* be upgraded to EI, as the ASICs are different.
If You want EI - You just buy it.

EI, apart from software enhancements, offers SSH support (aka `crypto').
SI images don't have SSH.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net