[c-nsp] 3750/3550 SMI vs EMI

Hakan Lindholm hakan at staff.spray.se
Sat Jan 22 20:54:11 EST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Aukasz Bromirski wrote:

> And yes, 2950-12, 2950-24, 2950T-48-SI and 2950SX-48-SI are *SI-only*
> and simply *can't* be upgraded to EI, as the ASICs are different.
> If You want EI - You just buy it.

You mean, if I want EI, I have to buy an EI model from start?  I'm not
sure about that.  But looking in the Pricing Tool at CCO, I find only
"Enhanced Multilayer Image upgrade for 3550 FE models", so you're probably
right.

> EI, apart from software enhancements, offers SSH support (aka `crypto').
> SI images don't have SSH.

How come I found this in some release notes?

12.1(22)EA2, November 2004
On Catalyst 2950 switches running the SI, support for DHCP snooping and SSHv2.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-38,GGLD:en&q=%22DHCP+snooping+and+SSHv2%22
summaries this pretty well.  There is a release note publiced by Cisco,
and a question without no answer.

I have noticed before that rapid spanning tree made it into the SI image.

/H