[c-nsp] Cisco Certifications

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Sat Jan 22 22:24:03 EST 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 8:10 PM, David Barak wrote:
> That said, Certs will get you past recruiters, so
> they're useful for that.  However, many of the
> intro-level certs test on things which are completely
> divorced from real-world scenarios.  An example is
> that the CCNA includes stuff about IGRP and classful
> networking, and some of the assumptions you have to
> make to pass it haven't been valid since pre IOS 11.1
> days...

I think that even with CCNA these days, its just a cursory overview
of the historical evolution of classfull -> classless.  I think it is
important
that people are aware of that background information, so they can
understand certain address space issues these days and how they are
linked to the legacy way in which that space was assigned.

That being said, most still get it wrong.  I would say that more than
half
of  the networking "engineers" out there consider /24 to be "Class C",
/16 to be "Class B", and /8 to mean "Class A".......constantly using
wrong
terminology to describe the space, even when referring to the historical
meanings.

Brian