[c-nsp] Cisco Certifications

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Sun Jan 23 03:41:46 EST 2005

Howdy,

On this topic, I'm currently studying a computer science degree (I really
dislike coding just to pass a subject..) and I wish to get into networking.
I currently work with Cisco gear and various other bits and peices at the
university, too.   I've done a bit of ISP as well, so I've got *some*
experience with a large multi-campus network, but when I finish my degree,
am I going to have to take up a part time job and do my CCNA (and CCNP)?

A CCNA doesn't seem cheap, that is, unless I just sit the exams and do some
sort of self study thing, but without constant access to the hardware, it
might be a bit harder for me to get a more practical idea of some of the
technologies covered in the CCNA (and of course, CCNP) course (I've never
touched a serial interface, for example, despite having knowledge about
them).  I'd personally see more value in purchasing second hand gear and
using that to work with, given that some 2500 series routers can be had for
pocket change on ebay these days.

I've covered a lot of the background theory as part of my degree already
(for the second and third time, mind you.. it gets a bit boring after a
while...).  Recruiters seem to ask for certifications and sometimes don't
ask for a degree.

Am I wasting my time? Should I bail and concentrate on certs?

This thing has been bugging me for a while now....

.t