[c-nsp] BGP hardware

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Sun Jan 23 18:49:48 EST 2005

Hi Ronan,

> I'm looking into running eBGP with three providers and taking full tables
> from all three. I've currently got a 3725 with 256MB of RAM, a NM-2FE2W and
> a NM-1FE2W. Would that be enough to handle the three tables if I'm pushing
> under 20Mb/s?

When I started my current job 2 1/2 years ago I've been handed over
a 3640/128 Meg, crappy configuration, with three full feeds (each about 110K
prefixes then), pushing about 8 Mb/s. After cleaning the configuration,
the box went from slow to ok, had a couple of CPU cycles to spare and
never went down - it just became slow when we were hit by traffic storms.

I believe your 37 will hold it for the time being, but I wouldn't count
on it keeping up in say two or three years' time (more prefixes, v6
tables, growth of your company, changes in traffic patterns...).
Oh, and I'm not sure what the box will do with a couple thousand
routes flapping; if you trust your upstreams/peers... ;-)

Yours,
	Elmi.

--

"Begehe nur nicht den Fehler, Meinung durch Sachverstand zu substituieren."
                          (PLemken, <bu6o7e$e6v0p$2 at ID-31.news.uni-berlin.de>)