[c-nsp] BGP hardware

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 24 02:45:28 EST 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:37:39PM +0000, Ronan Daly wrote:
> I'm looking into running eBGP with three providers and taking full tables
> from all three. I've currently got a 3725 with 256MB of RAM, a NM-2FE2W and
> a NM-1FE2W. Would that be enough to handle the three tables if I'm pushing
> under 20Mb/s?

The 3725 is a good start.  If you regularily see CPU over 50%, it's time
to consider something more powerful...

> I'm also considering getting a second router for redundancy - maybe a 3825
> or a 7200 ebay special. Anyone have any recommendations for this?

... like a 2851 or so.   The 3825 might be overkill if you only have
20 Mbit/s. traffic.

If you go for a 7200, you need to get at least a NPE-400 to get something
which can take more than 256 Mb RAM, which *will* be a need in the years
to come.  (Also, a NPE-225 is likely to be slower than a 2851).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de