[c-nsp] 2811 router doesn't recognize T-1 WICs?

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Wed Jan 26 04:14:11 EST 2005

Open a case with the Cisco TAC.  Since your 2811 is probably pretty new,
you shouldn't even need a service contract (yet).  They'll send you replacement
WICs and test to figure out why your current ones failed.

So far, with the new 2811s, I have seen an instance where one customer bought
a mix of six 2811 and 2821 routers, and six WIC-1DSU-T1-V2s, only to find
that three out of the six V2 WICs DID NOT WORK.  The broken three ONLY worked
in slot 0, and often times the T1s did not work properly even in that instance
(it would go down and a reload was the only way to bring it back up).

The good three WICs worked fine, in any slot.  The kicker is that the six
WICs had _SEQUENTIAL_ serial numbers, so for half of them to be "bad" in the
2811s was definitely not expected.  They seemed to work fine in 3600 and
other older routers.

Same customer, same routers, they also had a problem with a 2811 that
is even more worrisome.  One 2811, on a particular T1, would not stay
up, "Line protocol is down", unless you set hdlc keepalive to 13 or something
else odd.  Plug in a 2500 with external CSU or 2600 with a WIC and the T1
works just fine with completely default settings.  Ironically, other
2811s work fine at this location with default settings.  All 2811s had
the same IOS images (not that there is much choice for these new boxes)

Yep, there are strange issues with these new boxes.  Given Cisco's marketing
push, I would imagine most early adopters are using them primarily in
voice applications and not data T1s.  Perhaps they were better debugged there.

All I have left is to say "Way to go Cisco!!" for the broken T1 technology -
I know it's highly complicated, delicate, top precision work, and that the
utmost time and care goes into testing such obvious configurations...err..uhh..
wait a minute, what was I saying ???

Jay Hennigan [jay at west.net] wrote:
> Hello fellow Cisco-NSP folk.
>
> I have a brand new 2811 router which according to the Cisco DPRG
> configurator is supposed to take the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 modular WICs
> as opposed to the non-V2 type.
>
> So we paid the higher price for brand-spanking-new V2 modules, and they
> don't show up.  "sho diag" gives:
>
>         WIC Slot 0:
>         Unknown WAN daughter card
>         WIC module not supported/disabled in this slot
>         Hardware revision 64.0          Board revision >1
>         Serial number     1379991808    Part number    800-7441222-79
>         Test history      0x43          RMA number     48-55-51
>         Connector type    PCI
>         EEPROM format version 1
>         EEPROM contents (hex):
>           0x20: 01 80 40 00 52 41 01 00 C1 8B 46 4F 43 30 37 33
>           0x30: 31 31 41 36 4A 82 49 20 9A 03 42 41 30 03 00 81
>
> Tried two different WICs in all slots with similar results.
>
> Is there some magic needed to get these recognized or do I have a hardware
> issue?  The box is running IP-Base 12.3(11)T2, same results with 12.3(8)T.
>
> --
> Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
> WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
> NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/

The past cannot be changed.  The future cannot be guaranteed.