[c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jan 28 10:25:33 EST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Joe Maimon wrote:

> This is just a less special-case then the below, its the same concept.
> Here you wish to ignore ALL more specifics, below you wish to ignore
> more specifics that have either same next-hop, same as-path or whatnot.
> But still, when Team Cymru withdraws the bogon, you want the decision
> process to kick in for any routes you had received that were previously
> more specific.

Perhaps, but that complicates the feature, and in the ideal case,

A) IANA assigns a new /8 to some RIR.
B) Cymru removes that /8 from the bogons feed.
C) At some later point, the RIR starts assigning subnets of the /8 to its
members.

Assuming that order of operations, any subnets within bogon space that you
received before B, are bogons and you won't ever want those routes.

If you replace B with your own manually maintained bogons, and if you're
slow and don't remove a /8 until after C, then you're going to be in
trouble and will have to do some manual form of reset on your
peering/transit sessions to get the routes...or rely on much more
complicated code to resurrect previously ignored routes.

My point is that the simpler version of this which I proposed is something
I bet they could do right now with minimal coding effort.  It wouldn't be
a perfect solution for all problems of this type, but it would solve the
bogons issue right now.