[c-nsp] GSR 12012 problem with 10720 VPN connection

Joe Shen sj_hznm at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Jan 31 23:52:29 EST 2005

Hi,

we met a problem with Cisco GSR 12012 which acts as P
router in our mpls vpn network.

A 10720 router acts as MPLS-VPN PE which connects to
GSR 12012 with a GE link. This morning, our customer
said their router could not learn VPN route. And, we
found 50% packets lost when we ping the problemetic
10720 from an catalyst6509 switch, which connects to
the core router with two GE links. (vlan 11, vlan22).
Packets from vlan 11 could reach problemetic 10720,
but vlan 22 could not.

I remove the tag-switching config from the GE
configuration on GSR, and re-config it. everything
recovered.

Why? Is there any bug with IOS 12.0(18)ST which will
cause such a selective packet drop on tag-switching
interface?

How could we avoid such problem in future?

thanks

Joe