[c-nsp] CIRRUS Messages On Console

Gangasagar Amula sagar_cisco at rediffmail.com
Sat Jul 2 02:25:33 EDT 2005

Dear All,

In one of router...we had 12.2(24a)(ip plus) running on it...which used to hung very frequently....
So we thot' of upgrading the IOS to 12.2(28a) [ip plus]....But the attempt was unsuccessful thro' Tftp deamon....which was throwing some error...

Then we upgraded thro' Xmodem....and it was successful...

Can anyone help me out to reason such Issue?

Now after upgrading we are getting the foll. on console...
%CIRRUS-5-LINEFLAP: Unit 5 excessive modem control changes

------------- Explanation found from Cisco Site ---------

%CIRRUS-5-LINEFLAP: Unit [dec] excessive modem control changes
The specified asynchronous interface was determined to have too many automatic control changes in too short a span of time. This error may indicate a hardware or software error in the interface.

Recommended Action: Reset the interface. If this message recurs, copy the message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message.

But we are using syn. links....i.e. leased lines....
and having WIC 2A/S cards...(Is it some interface is using Async tech. to transfer data?)
Also what does [dec] mean?

Pls suggest....

Regards,
Sagar.