[c-nsp] (no subject)

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:25:42 EDT 2005

In my humble knowledge, Alot of pps will cause severe performance problems,
because the packets hit the interface and they fill the buffers, in my
network, the internet gateway is a 7600 with enough resources to handle it,
but not our PEs, BGP and IGP and TDP breaks. (i'm thinking CoPP and spd
aggressive, but again without trying these things, we dont have CoPP in our
IOS and spd will only be useful if the box got attacked, which isnt the
case)

I thought i can mitigate this by reading netflow exported from the gateway
to an open-source machine and getting reports for the NOC to be able to
route to null0. but actually most of our DoS attacks we get only last for 15
minutes, and almost all the time before the NOC takes any action, the attack
ends and sometimes the netflow analyser doesnt even report a thing, we only
see spikes in our MRTG pps graphs.

When we had a 7204 with NPE300 gateway, it would fail on any DoS, but now
with the 7600, just the PE being attacked and the customers terminated on it
will fail, however, we are not satisfied with that, so that got me thinking,
how can i rate limit pps on the gateway which is powerful enough to limit
the attack, we cant buy expensive solutions (Arbor/Cisco anomaly guard..)

What does cisco has to say about this, can there be limit to the pps numbers
in any way, QoS or routing/mpls features?