[c-nsp] 7206VXR vs 6500 series for PPPOE termination

Paul Stewart pauls at nexicom.net
Tue Jul 12 16:25:18 EDT 2005

Hi there...

We have some 6509's inhouse currently with Sup2/MSFC2's and love them....

Our Redback units for DSL termination are getting old and need to be
replaced.  Was thinking 7206VXR with NPE-G1 card etc.... but we have no 7200
series gear in house at moment so no spares etc.

This got me thinking of using a small 6500 series chassis with the
Sup2/MSFC2....  we have spare Sup's and linecards etc...

Do I need the MWAN card for PPPOE termination?  We get our ADSL sent to us
via l2tp tunnels from a telco and also via an OC-3 interface to local
DSLAMS.  Anyone using the 6500 series for PPPOE?

We don't want to be "test pilots" and find out what everyone who was smart
about this was using 7200's.... everyone we've talked to is using them and
not 6500's... so why? :)

Thanks,

Paul