[c-nsp] how to test multicast?

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Wed Jul 13 12:08:52 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:04:28PM -0500, Andy Webster wrote:
>  	I am trying to create a list of good resources to use to test
> multicast.  I think what I really would like to compile is a list rps
> that other people use to mtrace to in order to prove multicast is
> working?  Does anyone else have pointers to something like this?

Is NASA-TV still broadcasting? The last thing I've seen their was
the last Columbia mission...

Testing multicast is one thing to the engineer, but another thing is
to show your customer with simple means that it works as expected. I
like to use VLC to run a multicast transmission of some business promo
video of ours, announced using SAP, and show the customer how easily
the SAP announcement comes up in their VLC playlist and so does the
video when you click on the announcement.

It's essentially the same you have with sdr, vic and rat, but it's
easier to convince Windows users to use VLC ;)

BTW, you will probably notice that on some customer PCs, IP multicast
simply will not work no matter what. We've found out the hard way that
essentially any commercial VPN client software *kills* multicast
reception on Windows when *just* *installed*. It doesn't need to be
activated, it is sufficient if it's there. Positive for at least
Checkpoint SecuRemote and Cisco VPN client. Uninstall the buggers
and suddenly, all clear IP multicast...

HTH,
Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-