[c-nsp] Appletalk (don't laugh) through Cisco switch

Robert Hayden rhayden at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 15 11:20:28 EDT 2005

If they are on different VLANs, then they will need to be
appletalk-routed to reach each other, which you could accomplish by
uplinking to a one-armed 2600 running an appletalk image and then
running a trunked connection from the 2600 to the switch with each VLAN
on a different sub interface.

To my knowledge, the routing functions in the 3550, even with EMI code,
are not appletalk/IPX aware.

On the UW campus, we still have several departments dependent on
appletalk and IPX.  Which we do have a sunset date on this support of
June 2006, we still support it by trunking their VLANs to a central 6500
and handle all the appletalk and IPX routing there.  When the time comes
to "shut off" the service, it's just one device to remove and some
trunking to clean up :)

Robert Hayden
Senior Network Engineer
University of Wisconsin Madison