[c-nsp] Which would be ideal spam control device ?

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Sat Jul 16 11:29:22 EDT 2005

On Friday, July 15, 2005, 7:18:47 PM, Kuppuraj Krishnan wrote:
> Hi ,

> I work in an environemnt, that has got 3640 series routers
> (Serial/FastEthernet/Async ports). L2 & L3  Switches(gigabit capable)
> with hubs connected to them, handling about 250+ nodes. and about 15
> WAN clients. Having inhouse Email servers and providing DNS to all the
> nodes/WANs.

> Though every nodes are having personal firewall / antivirus, but this
> seems to be in sufficient when there's a spam/virus outbreak.

> I very much need your suggestions & views about choosing an ideal
> device that can protect my network as it is being frequently attacked
> by spams/virus and chokes the same.

> Thanks & regards,
> Kuppu

A popular open source solution is Linux or BSD boxes running
SpamAssassin, Amavisd and ClamAV.  They are quite effective at
stopping spam and viruses, but require some initial configuration
and later maintenance.  The wikis can be useful:

  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/

  http://www.section6.net/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_Postfix_Spamassassin_Amavisd_Clamav

  http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/5561/3/

If you're looking for a hardware solution, I have no answer....
:-)

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan