[c-nsp] Which would be ideal spam control device ?

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Sun Jul 17 04:00:53 EDT 2005

On Sunday, July 17, 2005, 12:48:20 AM, Ian Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Big Wave Dave wrote:

>> I personally recommend IronPort (http://www.ironport.com) many Fortune
>> 500 companies use them.  They recently came out with some "smaller"
>> products aimed at Small and Medium sized companies.

> Agreed. We use the IronPort appliances along with Symantec BrightMail and
> Sophos anti-virus. Without any spam protection I get about 100 spams a
> day. With spamassassin alone, I get about 30ish a day. With the IronPort
> solution, I get about two or three.

> The other advantage we've seen with the IronPort system is that it is
> /very/ fast compared with spamassassin.

SpamAssassin is written in perl, so it's not extremely fast.
However for small businesses or ISPs is quite viable.

That said, if you use a recent version of SpamAssassin *with
network tests enabled*, you should be getting almost no spam.

Please write me off list with more info about your setup, and
we'll try to get SpamAssassin working better for you.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com