[c-nsp] rommon, Linux, xmodem and Sup720

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Wed Jul 20 10:09:55 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've been trying without success to get anything correctly transfered onto
the bootflash: of this SUP720. I've tried hyperterminal, which just
appeared to time out, and now it's connected up to a Linux box.

I'd have to go back to site to try hyperterminal again, so I'd really like
to get a Linux solution working, particulary as hyperterminal didn't seem
to be giving me much joy!

minicom's built in xmodem transfer is bombing out with:

Retry 0: NAK on sector
Retry 0: Got 61 for sector ACK
Retry 0: NAK on sector
Retry 0: Got 20 for sector ACK
Retry 0: NAK on sector
Retry 0: Got 61 for sector ACK

I suspect that this could be related to rommon only supporting no CRC, or
CRC-16, while minicom's xmodem implementation on top of lrzsz is
defaulting to CRC-32.

So, I tried doing it by manually manipulating the serial port, in three
seperate terminal sessions. First I set up the serial port, and then in
one terminal I do "cat /dev/ttyS1", allowing me to see the command output.

In another terminal I do:

 	echo "xmodem -c README.PATCH" > /dev/ttyS1
 	echo "y" > /dev/ttyS1

and I see the rommon monitor ready to receive the file.

In the third terminal I do:

 	sx -b --16-bit-crc README.PATCH > /dev/ttyS1 < /dev/ttyS1

And it reports:

 	Sending README.PATCH, 7 blocks: Give your local XMODEM receive
 	command now.

After just 23 seconds the cisco reports:

 	CCCCCCCCCC
 	Timeout waiting for data - aborting download...

sx takes a minute to kick into life. So the answer to this problem seems
to be start up sx, wait 50 seconds, and then configure the cisco to
recieve the file.

But no, sx starts it's transfer exactly a minute after it started, and 13
seconds later the cisco reports:

 	CCCCCCCCCC
 	Timeout waiting for data - aborting download...

and then starts printing the xmodem output to console:

 	rommon 32 > v4.0 to v4.01 Installation

 	monitor: command "v4.0" not found
 	rommon 33 > ---------------.com/changelo>

and sx just times out very very slowly:

Xmodem sectors/kbytes sent:   0/ 0kRetry 0: Timeout on sector ACK
Retry 0: Timeout on sector ACK

How on earth can I make this work?!?!?

Sam