[c-nsp] 7505, OC3s and BGP

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 20 21:24:50 EDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Bill Wichers wrote:

> RSP isn't doing very much anymore. Seems like most are moving away from
> the 75xx platform entirely too, and from the list memory for BGP seems to
> be one of the bigger reasons.

We did...but our reasons were:

1) no real GigE options (GE-IP = cheaper and really sucks.  GE-IP+ =
ridiculously expensive, and still sucks, just not quite as badly).

2) vip2-50s and the limited RSP4 MEMD appeared to be limiting packet
switching rates to much less than we'd thought we'd get...and upgrading to
better VIPs and RSPs didn't seem to make sense given 1).

For routing FE and GigE, the 6500/7600 platform seemed to offer much more.

RAM limits (128mb on the VIP2-50, 256mb on the RSP4) hadn't become
pressing issues for us yet.