[c-nsp] strange npe-225 and 7206 non-vxr crashes

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Wed Jul 20 23:41:53 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:18:02PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Ed Ravin [eravin at panix.com] wrote:
> >
> > As I wrote in my original message, I stopped getting the "Bad CPU ID"
> > message when I upgraded to the version currently on CCO.  The filename
> > is c7200-boot-mz.120-28c.bin.  However, instead of the "Bad CPU ID" message,
> > in the exact same spot in the boot sequence, I get the "Emulating mis-aligned
> > load" and "Trap Exception" errors described below.
> >

> Ok.  I didn't read far enough to see that you had upgraded the boot
>
> > So why does my other router work?  Dumb luck?
> >

> What boot image do you have on the one that works ?

Funny you should ask.  I had 12.0.28b on both routers.  But I look at
the router that works, and it says:

   BOOTLDR: Version 12.2(29), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

And 12.2.29 is the IOS version.  This suggests to me that the router
that works is doing the same thing that the broken router is doing
at bootup, namely loading the bootflash, getting some kind of exception,
and then trying again by loading the IOS from flash disk.  I haven't
powered down the working router for years, and the exception at bootup
only happens at powerup, not at reload, so it's possible the working
one does this too.

I was finally able to find a 12.0S bootflash image under a pile of leaves
somewhere, and it booted the router without any exceptions, and the router
indeed showed in "show ver" that it had been booted via the 12.0S bootflash
image.

However, something is still wrong with that NPE-225, since it still crashes
with the cache/parity exception after an hour or two.  I've ordered new
memory for it.  Stay tuned...