[c-nsp] OT: Differences among T1 Internet access carriers

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:21:34 EDT 2005

I'm not going to renew the contract on one of my Internet access
circuits because the provider (GC) does not provide a useful DDoS
protection mechanism. So, I'll have to replace that circuit with one
from a major provider who does have such a mechanism. I've found that
Sprint, AT&T, and MCI have such mechanisms and I'd bet Level3 does, as
well.

But here's where I need some advice. At the T-1 level, is there really
much difference between these vendors from a technical perspective?
Would I be less happy with an MCI circuit, for example, versus one
from Sprint or AT&T? I'm beginning to think that at this level there
really isn't a significant difference except for perhaps in price.

We already have circuits from Sprint and we'd prefer to maintain some
carrier diversity so we're probably leaning toward MCI or AT&T.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John