[c-nsp] transatlantic Internet latency

Lyle Evans mlevans at blacksburg.net
Fri Jul 29 19:50:18 EDT 2005

At 05:00 PM 07/29/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We have a customer who's experiencing high latency on IP traffic between New
>York (where we are) and their server in New Zealand. As far as I can tell,
>this is normal behavior.

The great circle distance between NY and Auckland is 8816 miles (14189 Km),
the round trip distance is twice the above numbers and the speed of
propagation of light in fiber is about 2/3 of that in a vacuum,
which yields a minimum of 141 ms due light travel time. I will bet that
the actual route path is no where near a straight line (great circle).
maybe as much as 50% longer that brings you to about 210 ms,
in other words its physics for about 210 ms of delay.

Lyle Evans
lyle at rackears.com
rackmount brackets for many network
http://www.rackears.com