[c-nsp] Re: transatlantic Internet latency

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jul 29 22:15:01 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 08:14:04PM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> Also, you have those who use airport codes because they think it's the
> nearest airport, or don't care. For a while, GBLX had EWR (newark
> international airport) which was 15 miles from Newark, but only 1 mile
> from MMU (Morristorn Mun Airport).

Be glad they didn't just pick something random like NWK, as they tend to
do every so often. Airport codes may be sketchy in terms of pedantic
preciseness, but they tend to at least be something that common sense
folks can figure out without a +5 secret decoder ring. In the example
above, given the limited number of facilities which GX operates in the
Newark NJ area, EWR may be all the preciseness that they (and random
people on the Internet armed with traceroute) need.

Also I know this isn't the spot for it, but while we're on this subject,
does anyone know anything about an authorative source (if one exists) for
international CLLI geographical+geopolitical codes? I see codes like
amstnl, frnkge, londen etc floating around, but have never seen where
those folks (ok mainly Verio) get their data from internationally.