[c-nsp] Re: Cisco 7600 vs Juniper M7i

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Fri Jun 3 08:16:43 EDT 2005

Neil J. McRae wrote:
> I'm not sure why you say pricey? In terms of port cost/slot/chassis/
> space/power cost. With the SIP/SPA's the density of the 7609 is
> outstanding. If you don't need the ports then obviously its pricey
> but if you are using this as PE or PE-AGG its great. The only thing
> the 7600 is missing is improved DSL aggregation capabilities, interms
> of unit cost per customer, and customer type, the 7609 is a hard target
> to beat.

Ok, let me revise that a bit.  If you just bought a couple of 7600's and
are only starting off with say two WAN interface, but plan to add more
down the road, the SIP/SPA has a much higher up front cost.  Down the
road as you add more and more WAN interfaces you end up paying about the
same for better performance and higher density.  I'm just saying, up
front it's going to cost you quite a bit more.

And I do realize you can do a FlexWAN for starters, but when dealing
with a 7600 you don't want to fork truck all those PA's and the FlexWAN
card down the road and leave that investment stranded.

We were going to go with SIP/SPA's on our new 7600's but Cisco wouldn't
give us the same trade-up dollars vs going the FlexWAN route.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!