[c-nsp] understanding switching

Łukasz Bromirski lbromirski at mr0vka.eu.org
Sun Jun 5 12:43:58 EDT 2005

Mad Unix wrote:

> I have some questions, need to be clarified.

They look like exam questions ;) You should ask those questions
on more general networking lists, or on usenet.

> 1. What is the STP path-cost for FE/GE link?

Typical deployments use 1000/speed in megabits per second, so for
10Mbit/s Ethernet cost is 100, for FE cost is 10, and for GE
cost is 1. However when You do use 10GE and STP, You'll need
to revise it.

> 2. What is the range of VLAN ID's that can be created in VLAN DB?

"Normal" range is 1-1000, and extended range is 1025-4096.

> 3. Which RFC define IRDP, VRRP, HSRP?

This simply needs to be searched in:
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/1rfc_index.txt

IRDP is in RFC1256
VRRP is in RFC3768
HSRP is in RFC2281

> When would you use the Ethernet over DWDM?

When You want to get more bandwidth and have limited set of fibers.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net