[c-nsp] understanding switching

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Jun 5 14:03:35 EDT 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, [ISO-8859-2] Łukasz Bromirski wrote:

> > 1. What is the STP path-cost for FE/GE link?
>
> Typical deployments use 1000/speed in megabits per second, so for
> 10Mbit/s Ethernet cost is 100, for FE cost is 10, and for GE
> cost is 1. However when You do use 10GE and STP, You'll need
> to revise it.

This reminds me of the OSPF interface cost reference bandwidth question I
asked about somewhat recently.  Is there some reason the defaults for
these things were so shortsighted?

ospf's auto-cost reference-bandwidth supports a range of 1-4294967 on the
various platforms I've looked at.  Is there a reason not to default to a
much larger value, or even the top end of the allowed range?