[c-nsp] netflow accouting incompatibilities (on vaccess if)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jun 8 04:01:24 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 07:26:35AM +0200, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:
> >   - mppc compression is incompatible with CEF ?
> >   - CEF is essential for netflow accounting  (in 12.3(x)) ?
> >
> >   -> so "user requests mppc -> netflow is silently deactivated"
> >
> > Nasty surprise.
>
> mppc forces everything to process path, IIRC.

That's how it looks like.

> But IMHO netflow should still work in this case.

Well - it doesn't.

I don't know about IPv4 netflow, but for IPv6 netflow, it's documented
that it will only work if CEF is on - maybe this is the way it's for
IPv4 netflow nowadays as well?  (12.3(9a)).

> > As a workaround: is there a way to force-deny CCP requests on our
> > Cisco?  I can't seem to find a setting in the virtual-template that
> > will reject compression - "no compress" will just make it "not
> > request" compression (but obviously not reject it - that's already
> > set).  Any tips what I overlooked?
>
> the LNS will reject CPP (i.e. compression) unless it has "compress .."
> enabled on the vtemplate:
[..]

Thanks for making this very clear.  As it turns out...

Jun  8 09:57:28: RADIUS:   Cisco AVpair       [1]   38  "lcp:interface-config#1=compress mppc"

... *we* are requesting it.  I need to check with our dialup mgmt people
why only this single user gets compress mpcc, which is definitely not an
officiall feature...

Something that I found in the process: if I set "no compression" on the
virtual-template, *while the user is only*, CCP will shut down on the
respective virtual-access interface, without logging off the user
(and subsequently CEF/netflow will work).  Now *that*'s definitely cool :)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de