[c-nsp] large scale NAT/PAT solution

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Jun 9 01:06:25 EDT 2005

I disagree.  If you can force all users behind NAT then their Windows
machines don't get infected with every new virus and trojan to come
around, thus you save a lot of bandwidth and a lot of support calls.

It is a lot easier if a user calls in with a problem where they need a
public IP to tell them the fix is to pay more money, than to deal with
a frantic user who's machine has just been smacked down into garbage
by the latest trojan.

>Furthermore, ISPs are not supposed to charge for IP address space (as
>per the RIPE guidelines that you all signed...).

News to me - where is this specifically?  Does RIPE not charge requestors
for IP address space themselves?

Ted