[c-nsp] Modern BGP peering border router and DDoS attack defense recommendations?

Matt Buford matt at overloaded.net
Tue Jun 14 19:34:36 EDT 2005

At my service level, the goal is to keep the victim site operational
throughout the attack.

In my experience, the Cisco/Riverhead Guard is excellent at protecting
against packet floods and connection floods.  However, it was not very
effective against widely distributed application level attacks.

In one case, I had 20,000+ IPs hitting high-cost URLs that included database
queries.  These zombies seemed to browse around somewhat randomly to sort of
mimic humans, and they only were doing a few hits per minute so any single
IP did not seem to be flooding.  However, over a period of time I could pick
them out by processing the logs and looking at IPs that had hit the site at
least once in every clock minute for the last 24 hours.  However, even after
I generated my list, I came back and regenerated it every hour and there
were always another hundred or so new IPs that hadn't been seen before.
This steady addition of new IPs made it hard to block at any level.

Additionally, finding somewhere to ACL out 20,000+ IPs was a pain.  The
Riverhead was not happy when I tried to add the IPs manually, and it also
did annoying things like attempting to show the currently configured manual
ACLs would say "Display trimmed at 1000 entries" and I had no way to view
more.

The PIX also had no interest in allowing a 20,000 line ACL.

I finally blocked them via .htaccess on the web servers themselves.  Apache
had no complaints with a long list of IPs, and this resulted in "Forbidden"
lookups.

Since this, I've tried to emphasize to customers that application level
attacks are application level issues.  The attack should be detected and
blocked right in the application itself.  Network level scrubbing is for
connection floods, packet floods, and anti-spoofing.

All that said, at the same time those zombies were hitting, there was a
couple hundred megs of packet floods.  Some UDP and some SYNflooding.  The
Riverhead stopped that part of the attack without any issue.

In the past year it seems like things have died down.  Perhaps my customers
just aren't the DoS magnets they used to be.  However, in past years 1 mPPS
and 1 gigabit attacks were not uncommon, and the Riverhead was highly
effective in dealing with these.  Of course, remember that your transit and
your routers have to be able to push this.

1 mPPS SYNflood = 1 mPPS inbound + 1 mPPS of syncookies outbound.  You
aren't going to push this on a 7200. :)

The other issue is cost.  Even if you can defend and keep the site running
smoothly during a gigabit DDoS, can the customer afford the bandwidth bill
at the end of the month?  Even customers that can afford to pay for our DDoS
mitigation services are often unable to afford the bandwidth bill when an
attack hits.