[c-nsp] E3 CPE

Ian Henderson ianh at chime.net.au
Fri Jun 17 13:15:21 EDT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Vincent De Keyzer wrote:

> We are thinking of something like PA-E3 on a 7206VXR/NPE-400 on the PoP
> side, and 2821 with NM-1E3/T3 as CPE.
>
> Question is: can the 2821 switch packets at 34 Mbps ?

I've been quite surprised with the performance of the 2821. We currently
have one in a trial as a small-POP (500~ DSL users) BRAS terminating PPPoE
users. We're getting 700 users doing up to 50Mbit of traffic at about 60%
CPU. Our per-user configuration isn't optimised for virtual-template
subinterfaces yet either - so we could squeeze a bit more CPU out of the
box yet.

So yes, even with some features (ACL, QOS, etc), the 2821 should handle E3
just happily.

Rgds,

- I.

--