[c-nsp] BGP table growth and memory

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Mon Jun 20 17:44:55 EDT 2005

Gert Doering [gert at greenie.muc.de] wrote:

> As a rule of thumb, I'd give a 256MB/7200 box with 12.2(18)S that has
> full tables "but only iBGP peers" about another year.  A box with multiple
> full eBGP peers is likely to only last a few more months - especially if
> you use a more memory hungry IOS, like 12.2(25)S.  Dunno about 12.3 or
> recent 12.0S memory usage rates.  (And of course, this is pure speculation).

I just moved my RSP4s to 12.0(26)S6 just for this reason.  Thank god everything
else holds more routes.  30k route growth in one year is huge when your router
eats up memory like there's no tomorrow.  Actually, it is closer to 20k for
2003-2004 and looks like it will hit over 20k for 2004-2005.

2005, Jun 21st
165774 - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/2005/06/msg00020.html

2004, Dec 31st
153382 - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/2004/12/msg00029.html

2003, Dec 31st
131566 - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/2003/12/msg00032.html

2002, Dec 31st
118794 - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/2002/12/msg00030.html

2001, Dec 31st
106825 - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/2001/12/msg00024.html

2000, Dec 31st
102477 - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/2000/12/msg00030.html

1999, Dec 31st
70217  - http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/bgp-stats/archive/1999/12/msg00034.html

--
"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
  - Senator Dan Quayle, 10/30/88