[c-nsp] Best practice to put a DNS server at same lan segment as main internet gateway

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Jun 21 14:21:52 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:15:55AM +0200, Kim Onnel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I must put 2 servers at the same LAN segment where the internet gateway is,
> i have a 506 PIX and the servers are supposed to be tight, but still i feel
> that its dangerous to do that.
>
> if i understand correctly, i will give the DNS server a private IP and let
> it PAT through the PIX to the DNS ports, for added security, i've placed it
> on a different switch.
>
> Any suggestions ideas, is there recommended configurations on PIX in this
> case ?
>
> Regards

	don't use the PIX..  you have described a complex, error prone
	configuration.  take the DNS server platform and ensure that
	it only runs the basic set of services...  for many folks
	this consists of :

		DNS - port 53 udp/tcp
		NTP - port 123 udp/tcp
		SSH - port 22 udp/tcp

	no HTTP, netbios, snmp, smtp, or pretty much anything else.
	if you are physically in front of the box and it has a console,
	you can turn off SSH.

	ymmv of course.

--bill