[c-nsp] 12V DC input on 2950

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Wed Jun 22 18:48:31 EDT 2005

At 06:01 PM 6/22/2005, you wrote:
>We're trying to mount a 2950 in a vehicle as a mobile lab for testing our
>wireless network.
>
>There is a 12VDC marking on the back of the chassis next to a plug, which
>I understand is for the Cisco RPS chassis to connect in.
>
>We've found the pinout for the connector, and it mentions -48VDC on some
>pins and 12VDC on others.
>Does anyone know if the -48 is required? Or can we just feed it 12VDC on
>the pins marked for it?

Go to WalMart or RadioShack or any local auto parts store and pick up an AC
inverter. They come in sizes from 50W to 5000W+. The big ones have to be
hard wired. Typically, they will plug into your cigarette lighter and have
a 110V outlet on the box. Here are some basic units:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001678/showCustom-0/p-2001678/N-111+600000554+10201/c-10101

Rememer that to get 1A at 120VAC, you need at least 10A at 12VDC - and
that's if an inverter was 100% efficient, which it isn't.

For a better quality setup, pick up a TripLite inverter for permanent mounting:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2001672/showCustom-0/p-2001672/N-111+600000554+10201/c-10101

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin