[c-nsp] sup720 - is using 'mls rate-limit unicast cef receive' wise/recommended?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Fri Jun 24 11:05:35 EDT 2005

The CEF receive rate limiter limits any traffic destined to any IP
belonging to the RP (anything having a receive adj in the h/w). If you are
NOT using copp, then it is ok and possibly advisable to use the CEF receive
RL. If you ARE using copp, then it is advised NOT to use the CEF receive
rate limiter.

Why? Because the h/w RLs override your copp policy. IOW, if a packet
matches a configured rate limiter, it is NOT subjected to the copp policy.
And of course, your whole copp policy will be full of your router's IP
addresses.

You may want to take a look at this document, which discusses copp & the
CPU RLs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper0900aecd802ca5d6.shtml

HTH,
Tim

At 07:47 PM 6/23/2005, Rodney Dunn remarked:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759