[c-nsp] IP unnumbered question. Are isp's using this alot?

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Jun 26 00:26:06 EDT 2005

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at toybox.placo.com> writes:

> The fact of the matter is that all RFC1918 numbers on my serial links
> do is to force you to treat my network as a black box, it takes away
> transparency of my network from you.  That forces you to go through me
> when there's a problem on my network.  You probably don't prefer to do
> that rather than just examining my network from a computer, but it is
> my network and I'm paying for it, and I can do whatever I want with it.

It is indubitably true that we prefer to not have someone who is
clueless enough to number his links out of 1918 space in our critical
path when trying to debug end to end connectivity problems...

Since with the benefit of your experience you clearly know so much
better than the authors of RFCs 1597, 1627, and 1918, I encourage you
to get involved with the standards process and get a BCP published
that espouses your point of view.

                                        ---Rob