[c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Andrew K Ho aho at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 29 10:25:26 EDT 2005

Howevever, sources do send membership reports.  I'm thrown off by the fact
that the multicast session never goes past the first hop router, hence,
there should be no need for the router to participate in the multicast
session.

Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>
06/29/2005 09:52 AM

"Tantsura, Jeff" <jtantsura at ugceurope.com>
cc
"'Andrew K Ho'" <aho at yorku.ca>, Tim Stevenson <tstevens at cisco.com>,
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 04:14:42PM +0200, Tantsura, Jeff wrote:
> Presence of layer 3 interface on the same VLAN could change the picture.
> Since sources and receivers would register on it enabling PIM could
help.

Sources do not register - they just send packets.  Routers attached
to the source register at the PIM RP, but this is independent of
directly attached receivers.

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * Isola dei Gabbiani *