[c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Andrew K Ho aho at yorku.ca
Wed Jun 29 11:24:59 EDT 2005

LOL.  Now that that is settled anyone have any idea why it won't work :)

Andy

Tim Stevenson <tstevens at cisco.com>
06/29/2005 10:53 AM

Andrew K Ho <aho at yorku.ca>, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>
cc
cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net, "Tantsura, Jeff" <jtantsura at ugceurope.com>
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Ok, I'll say it one more time. ;)

There is no need for a router. In fact there is no need for a querier
either. You can disable IGMP snooping and flood the multicast everywhere.
That's L2 multicast.

If you want IGMP snooping to work, so you can actually constrain your L2
multicast to the ports w/interested receivers, then a querier, any
querier,
is required.

HTH,

Tim

At 07:25 AM 6/29/2005, Andrew K Ho noted:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759