[c-nsp] multicast on layer 2

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Jun 29 11:40:22 EDT 2005

It's really just a side-effect of the implementation. Snooping code relies
on seeing queries and the corresponding reports regularly. Eg, a port where
a join was seen is removed from the snooping table if no report is seen on
the port for 3 general query intervals. Also, queries allow us to learn the
mrouter ports, and we use the mrouter port list to flood proxied joins &
leaves.

Since there are some cases where you don't want a router sending the
queries, we implemented the switch querier feature so snooping would still
work as expected in an L2 only environment. I guess the other option would
have been to modify the snooping code to just leave ports joined forever
until a leave is seen, but there are cases a leave won't be seen (IGMPv1,
crashed IP stack or system, etc) and then we would never remove the port(s).

HTH,
Tim

At 08:24 AM 6/29/2005, Andrew K Ho noted: