[c-nsp] Utilizing Cat6500 hardware wred queues in L3 routed mode?

mikus der.mikus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 22:30:09 EST 2005

	We're looking for the best way to utilize the Cat6500's in full
L3/MPLS environments and wondering if we can still utilize hardware
queueing on routed ethernet interfaces.  Since PFC QoS does not
support WRED for congestion avoidance within traditional policy-map
use on 6500's, we'd like to utilize a hybrid approach to marking on
ingress, and rather rely solely on CBWFQ/PQ, utilize the hardware
(1p3q8t, etc) wred queues of the given hardware linecards for L3
routed interfaces.  Enabling wrr-queues on the interface in routed
mode seems doable, but I've not yet began testing this to see if it's
actually functional as CoS is traditionally only applicable to trunks.
 Since wrr-queue's can only look at CoS, it seems logical for use in
an L3 capacity for achieving the same results.  For instance,
something similar to:

(sup720 1p2q2t interface)

interface GigabitEthernet5/1
 ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
 wrr-queue bandwidth 30 60 10
 wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 1 40 80
 wrr-queue random-detect min-threshold 2 70 80
 wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 1 80 100
 wrr-queue random-detect max-threshold 2 80 100
 wrr-queue cos-map 1 1 1
 wrr-queue cos-map 1 2 0
 wrr-queue cos-map 2 1 2 3 4
 wrr-queue cos-map 2 2 6 7
 wrr-queue cos-map 3 5
 priority-queue out
 mpls ip
 mpls traffic-eng tunnels
 mpls mtu 1524

	Documentation seems to support this, using mls qos maps for
exp->dscp, then dscp->cos maps to achieve what the interface will
classify into it's wred/tail-drop egress queues, but this seems
somewhat round-about and not sure if there is a better way to
accomplish this (or if it is readily supported). I'm also not sure
since there's no direct "mls qos trust exp", only ipp, dscp, or cos
which we'd want to use for recursively mapping exp's to whatever we
want to trust in the end.

	This is what I'm looking at for reference - anyone else doing or
trying to accomplish the same feat successfully?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7600/software/122sx/swcg/mplsqos.htm#wp1450438