[c-nsp] Bellsouth DSL / PPPoE config

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Thu Mar 3 17:22:56 EST 2005

I am going to be configuring a PPPoE circuit for someone, just ethernet
talking to a DSL bridge.  I have heard that Bellsouth requires both PAP
and chap simultaneous authentication for their BBG, does anyone know if
thats true?

If so, I was considering this for PPPoE config:

vpdn-group 1
  request-dialin
  protocol pppoe

int e0
  no ip add
  pppoe enable
  pppoe-client dial-pool-number1

int Dialer1
  desc Bellsouth DSL
  ip add negotiated
  ip mtu 1492
  ip tcp adjust-mss 542
  ip nat outside
  encap ppp
  dialer pool 1
  dialer-group 1
  ppp authentication chap pap callin
  ppp chap hostname username at bellsouth.net
  ppp chap password somepassword
  ppp pap sent-username username at bellsouth.net password somepassword
  crypto map myMap2

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

I am not sure if it really does pap and chap both, was hoping someone
here who has setup bellsouth DSL could tell me.

Normally I run my GRE tunnels at 1440, I think with the above using
PPPoE I should drop it 8 more to 1432 to be safe, anyone know what has
worked?  I have heard knocking down the mss is a good idea too from
cisco.com.

Brian