[c-nsp] Interconnecting two T1s with C-DS3

Patrick Bohannon pbohanno at kiva.net
Fri Mar 4 15:12:51 EST 2005

Hi all,

There's probably a very obvious answer to why this wouldn't work, but the
question was posed by a client so I thought it was worth asking.

We have channelized DS3s from our NOC to two different geographic areas.
Our client has branch offices in each location and the goal is to connect
the two.

Is it possible to order two T1s local to each office's serving CO, have them
ride channels back to our NOC, and cross-connect them somehow?  At the NOC,
there would be no equipment other than MUX->Patch Panel->Patch Panel->MUX.
The CSU/DSU on each end would be client located.

To make it a more Cisco-centric post, should I be thinking of utilizing
another branch-office technology instead of trying to finagle this?  Perhaps
we could leverage our Cisco routing infrastructure to make this work?

Here's kind of what I'm picturing:

LOC A------T1-----CO A

                   DS3#1

                   NOC  (crossconnect the two DS3 channels)

                   DS3#2

LOC B------T1------CO B

Thanks for any help!