[c-nsp] Interconnecting two T1s with C-DS3

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Mar 4 15:16:28 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Patrick Bohannon wrote:

> There's probably a very obvious answer to why this wouldn't work, but the
> question was posed by a client so I thought it was worth asking.
>
> We have channelized DS3s from our NOC to two different geographic areas.
> Our client has branch offices in each location and the goal is to connect
> the two.
>
> Is it possible to order two T1s local to each office's serving CO, have them
> ride channels back to our NOC, and cross-connect them somehow?  At the NOC,
> there would be no equipment other than MUX->Patch Panel->Patch Panel->MUX.
> The CSU/DSU on each end would be client located.

Yep, should work fine.  You'll need a T-1 crossover cable between the
two MUXes.  Pair 1,2 crosses to pair 4,5.  Clocking on the circuit will
*probably* be sourced by the MUXes, but you may want to verify this to
ensure that the circuit has exactly one clock source.  Are the MUXes
tied to a building or network clock at your NOC?

> To make it a more Cisco-centric post, should I be thinking of utilizing
> another branch-office technology instead of trying to finagle this?  Perhaps
> we could leverage our Cisco routing infrastructure to make this work?

Heck, it's a layer 1 project at this point.  :-)

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/