[c-nsp] native vlan & tagged ?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Mar 4 17:38:09 EST 2005

--On Friday, March 04, 2005 14:07 -0800 matthew zeier <mrz at intelenet.net>
wrote:

> Server is using the Intel PRO1000 and has an IPMI card.
>
> My goal is to have the IPMI on Vlan10 and have the server on Vlan10 and
> "something else" (whatever network the customer is on).   The IPMI BMC
> card doesn't understand trunking of dot1q.
>
> Under Linux, this is no problem - eth0 can handle untagged frames and
> eth0.<vlan> can handle tagged frames.
>
> Under Windows, the Intel driver doesn't appear to let me create an
> untagged interface (or if it doesn't I don't know how to do it).  My
> switch config looks like:

Basically what 'native' does is cause any frame coming in on that vlan for
that trunk to pass untagged.  So no, you can't have both at the same time.
Outgoing frames can be tagged or untagged for the native vlan (though
tagging them defeats the purpose), but incoming frames on the native vlan
will always be untagged.  (incoming in this instance is from the point of
view of the attached device)

So it seems there is no way for your windows OS on those box(es) to be both
setup for IPMI and be able to talk on the IPMI VLAN.