[c-nsp] Tell me if I am in the right place or if I need to go somewhere else...... Like others have done.

Joe Gilliam joegilliam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 14 16:26:09 EST 2005

I am an absolute cisco newbie.

I was given two 2948 G switches, one was an L3.  The 2948G was easy.  The L3 is a hard one to configure.

I am trying to read and work on the L3 switch as I go.  I am having all kinds of trouble setting
up the switch for what I would call a simple basic switch / router.

I managed to get in, reset all the congfigs, change the hostname, change the passwords, configure the telnet session, test it, and save the config to the startup-config.  I also turned on all the ports.

Port 48 was set up for 192.168.0.254 / 24.

I have been reading in the configuration manual for this darn thing and all in need now is how
to setup an uplink port to another switch.  I don't have any Gbics in this box.  I am only using the available 48 ports.  I have 48 set for telnet.  I already know I can't uplink on that port now.

So how do I set it up so another switch can uplink to this one?  Through port 47?
I can't find it in the book, or I am using the wrong term.

I am going to use this switch at lan parties.  So I am not going to do anything complecated.
I am just going to link another switch so that I can have the other switch and internet on this one.  DHCP will be from a hardware DHCP server.

I am a systems Admin for a hospital Pacs system.  I run all the computer databases and image systems.  I rarely get involved in the network switch config.  So I consider this a major learning experience.  I am willing to do everything by myself, but I just need a little guidance so I can continue.  Right now, I am stuck.

Again, IF I am in the wrong place, Just tell me where I need to go.  I will not bug you guys again if that is the case.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Gilliam
Wichita, Kansas