[c-nsp] VTP Pruning

Dave Temkin dave at ordinaryworld.com
Mon Mar 14 22:02:02 EST 2005

Does anyone have a pointer to a doc that shows *how* VTP Pruning works?  I
definitely know *what* it does, but none of the docs say how it determines
whether or not a VLAN is in use...

I had an issue years ago where even if there was an active port in a
VLAN, it got pruned because the CAM entry fell out after awhile.  This
broke things because it was in a one-way broadcast type environment
(market data).  The general understanding is that if a port is active in
that VLAN that it shouldn't be pruned....  But as I just stated, that
wasn't the case in the past - and I'm not sure if that was a bug or if it
was how it was intended to work....

Thanks,

-Dave