[c-nsp] Converting ATM to VLAN

Clayton Zekelman clayton at MNSi.Net
Wed Mar 16 16:31:39 EST 2005

At 03:21 PM 3/16/2005, Bruce Pinsky wrote:

>If you wish to bridge between the ATM and the FE, why do you have "bridge
>48 route ip"?  This would imply that you will be passing layer 3 traffic
>between other routed interfaces and the "group of interfaces" represented
>by the layer 3 virtual interface BVI48.

That's part of our standard configuration when we're routing.  You're
right, it probably doesn't need to be there.

>Now frankly, I think it's a fluke that adding "no ip address" would correct
>the problem, however, I think the proper solution here would be to have "no
>bridge 48 route ip" which would disable routing for IP within that
>bridge-group causing all packets to be forwarded only between member
>interfaces of that bridge-group.  There are other possible solutions as
>well depending on what other activities this router is expected to do, but
>given this limited view, this would be my first suggestion.

I'm going to give that a shot.  The interesting part is, without the BVI
created, the setup worked properly for about 2 hours then died.   (pager
went off while I was sound asleep after the cutover...) I'm a bit confused
as to why it would work, then suddenly stop.  Since its all working now,
I've got hesitations about messing with it, but in the interest of finding
out why it fails after a few hours, I'll probably try your suggestion out
on a backup path.

---
Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)