[c-nsp] Converting ATM to VLAN

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 16 17:26:38 EST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:31:39PM -0500, Clayton Zekelman wrote:
> I'm going to give that a shot.  The interesting part is, without the BVI
> created, the setup worked properly for about 2 hours then died.

Cisco ATM IRB bridging can be really *weird* at times.

We have a VC that is bridged to a 802.1q subinterface (because the router
is running 12.3main which doesn't have IPv6 RBE).  At times, due to bugs
at the CPE side, OAMs were not answered on the VC correctly, and thus the
VC state and ATM subinterface went to "down/down".

Nonetheless briding IPv6 (802.1q->VC) and IPv4 (BVI->VC) over this VC
worked perfectly...

(This was with 12.3(5a) or so, and I view it as mild curiousity, so I
never bothered to open a bug about it).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de